SOURCE: The Edcamp Wiki
*if you have a chance, ATTEND ANOTHER EDCAMP OR A BARCAMP! It will give a lot of guidance in planning your own conference*
First: Determine a mission/goal for the event. (Read part 1 of Mary Beth’s series on creating an edcamp)
- Who is your target audience?
- What types of discussions would you like your audience to have?
- Engage your audience in conversation so they will attend the event.
- Enlist the help of others–an unconference is hard to put on alone!
Second: Take care of the “big stuff” (Read part 2 of Mary Beth’s series on creating an edcamp)
- Find a location, date, and secure insurance for your event.
- Decide how you will handle the finances (PayPal account? Business bank account?)
- Assign roles to organizers
Third: Get funding! (Read part 3 of Mary Beth’s series on creating an edcamp)
- Develop a press release
- Contact potential sponsors
- Prioritize your spending
Fourth: Do all the “little things.” (Read part 4 of Mary Beth’s series on creating an edcamp)
- Get a website up and running.
- Determine if you will provide food.
- Decide on any little “extras” (lanyards, t-shirts, etc.).
- Survey your space and decide how many rooms you will have
- Create a scheduling board
HAVE YOUR EVENT!!!